Monday, June 8, 2009

The Moral of Numbers

I'm not a huge fan of numbers, I much prefer letters; so it doesn't really bother me terribly if there aren't many numbers lying around (the kind you count, not the kind you smoke). However, there are certain times when numbers are essential, and when money is involved, the absence of numbers should set the alarm bells ringing.

For example, the omission of numbers when trying to ascertain the price of something suggests the price has been inflated far past the items worth. However, if there aren't any numbers lying around when a job is advertised, then you know the opposite is true; that the advertiser is asking far too much for what the position is actually worth. So don't be surprised if you get the job and then discover you're being undervalued.

1 comment:

  1. Craps, that applies to the job I want. Dammit! On the other hand, if it's paying at all, it's more than I'm currently earning.

    ReplyDelete