Saturday, June 20, 2009

Frustration, the mighty woollen beast.


Spinning relates to a lot of things, but today Hervor and I decided to check out the age old art of spinning yarn. Both of us are probably a lot more used to spinning a yarn, but this was of the woollen variety.

We were taught to card the wool and some of the instruments used looked as though they were straight from a torture chamber. No ordinary combs, I had worked with one for less than five minutes and managed to draw blood. I'm kinda talented that way.

Hervor and I both found it to be a frustrating experience: Hervor had trouble co-ordinating hand and foot and I did some okay spinning initially, but from the moment I overspun, it was like some dreadful revelation that couldn't be forgotten. I was told beginners always suffered overspinning, like it was some terrible disease that required a lengthy hospital stay. By the end of the day that was pretty much how the sight of heavily twisted yarn made me feel. However, I think I might prefer medication to a hospital stay; maybe a sedative that would soothe the mighty woollen beast of frustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment